Common U-Joint Problems For Dodge/RAM Trucks
Older Dodge and newer RAM trucks are two of the most popular trucks on the road today. While they’re known for their power and durability, they can still experience problems with their u-joints. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the most common u-joint issues Dodge and RAM owners experience, and we’ll provide tips on how to fix them.
We’ll cover the following information in this guide:
- U-joint failure symptoms on Dodge/RAM trucks
- Diagnostic tips
- Repair tips
- Recommended replacement parts for Dodge/RAM trucks
Dodge/RAM U-Joint Failure Symptoms
- Squeaking noise when driving under 10 mph
- Clunking with a ringing sound when the transmission is shifted from drive to reverse
- Vibration felt throughout the truck when it’s in motion
- Transmission fluid leaks
- Banging sound coming from underneath the truck
- Complete loss of power (if the driveshaft comes loose)
U-Joint Diagnosis And Repair Tips
It’s important for your technicians to be able to recognize a bad u-joint and know how to replace one on a Dodge or RAM truck. We have a few tips that may help:
- When your techs aren’t sure whether to replace a u-joint, it’s always best to replace it anyway. Read more about this recommendation over on this post on the GMB blog.
- It’s important to be able to identify the warning signs of u-joint failure. This will help prevent complete u-joint failure in your customers’ cars. This blog post has some good diagnostic and troubleshooting tips.
- The most common causes of u-joint failure are alterations made to the truck or lack of maintenance. If your techs find that one of these issues are the reason a customer’s u-joint has failed, they should explain it to the customer. We have a post about how to do this on our GMB blog.
- Make sure your techs always check all the u-joints when diagnosing u-joint issues on a Dodge/RAM truck.
Recommended Replacement U-Joints For Dodge/RAM Trucks
If you want to reduce comebacks, use replacement u-joints made by a top quality brand. GMB is a leading brand in the u-joint market. If you want to read more about GMB and why it’s a reliable brand that makes quality OE-grade u-joints, check out this page. Here are the recommended GMB u-joints for Dodge/RAM trucks:
|Year||Make/Model||GMB Part Number|
|1987-2001||Dodge Dakota||GMB junta en u #210-1306|
|1994-2001||Dodge RAM 1500||GMB junta en un #210-0297|
|1994-2002||Dodge RAM 2500||GMB junta en u #210-0332|
|1994-2008||Dodge RAM 1500||GMB junta en u #210-0160|
|1994-2010||Dodge RAM 1500||GMB junta en u #210-1203|
|2003-2009||Dodge RAM 2500 y 3500||GMB junta en u #210-0464|
Is a particular Dodge or RAM truck not on this list? You can look it up in our catalog of GMB u-joints to find the right part number.
The Most Common Reasons Dodge/RAM Trucks Have U-Joint Issues
- Improper or inadequate maintenance, including missing u-joint service intervals
- Heavy loads
- Steep operating angles
- Lack of lubrication
- Wear and tear over time
Sign up here to get the latest news
and updates on all things GMB.